Saturday, May 12, 2018

2018 Kipling Award Finalist: Beatrice Johnson, Academy School, Andrew Speno, Teacher


How thePeacock Got His Feathers

One day oh my best beloved, in African Rain Forest there lived a peacock named Nate. Back then the world was just new again like a new flower in the ground. All the animals were making changes the toucan got his beak, the elephant got her trunk. Even far away there were changes from moose to penguin and even fish. Nate was a nervous little bird, but very smart. He always tries to do good. When his parents said go get berries for dinner he did. When his friend Ella the elephant drops her fruit he would pick it up. One of his worst features was the color of his feathers oh my best beloved was a brown yucky color.


One day Nate came to the end of a mountain. It was a magnificent site. ” boy I wish I was that beautiful” Nate thought. Then he heard a sound “who's there?” he asked with a quiver. A light brown peahen stepped out of the bushes she looked around. “hi I’m Eva can you show me how to get back to mayflower field?” she said in a sweet but nervous voice. “I’m.” Nate said. Then he was quiet “never mind.” she walked away with her tail in the air. Nate was in serious love. Nate needed help. how was he supposed to get his love and family if he looked like this? He went to ask his friends what he should he do. He asked Simon snake.” Simon can you help me there's this girl I like and I do not think that she likes me one bit” Nate said “I don't say mate, if you’re looking for beauty go to mount Wizico.” he asked chimp the chimpanzee and Ella the elephant but my best believe they all said the same thing. So Nate decided to go to mount Wizico. “Be careful wonkamanelizerds Nate.” said his mom. They say that wonkamanelizereds eat young peacocks and peahens.

 He climbed a quarter of the way up the hill. He saw a toucan he said “I am one of your choices, say a question and I will give you the truth and only the truth.” can I can be beautiful?” said Nate. “What why do you ask that question you were made that way and that is the way you shall stay” said the toucan. “But..”said Nate “you gave me a question and I gave you the answer that is enough for today” and he flew away.so Nate walked on until he reached a cottage. There was a piece of paper on the door that said “lunch break will be back soon:)”.

So Nate went on and on until he reached the top and meet a parrot. “Hello how can I help you?” said the parrot. “Can I..” said Nate took a big gulp and was about to speak when the parrot yawned and said “to boring bye” and flew away. “ weal weal..” he said bursting into tears” well I guess I’ll never be beautiful” and ran down the hill. Just then he reached the cottage and he heard a voice “welcome” it did not sound like a growl or a tweet not even a honk. Nate looked up nervous and cures . he saw a girl a pretty human girl ”hi how can I help you said the girl.”uh.. Yes but if you promise not to fly away “said Nate. “No chance by the way my name is may” said the girl.” can I can i”Nate said .then he thought is it buety I want or is it the girl. “can you help me get this girl I like? Said Nate. “Hmm” said may “yes.. Now sit down and take a big breath” said may. Nate took a big breath and opened his eyes and he was in lush green grass. He had a thought like he wanted to run so he started running he never seemed to be tired. Then came to a lake and felt like he needed to swim so he swam. At the end of the lake he found himself back in may's cottage. “What did that do? Said Nate. “Look” may said with a smile he looked in the mierre. He saw himself with big beautiful feathers and only a little bit of yucky brown. “ go get that girl”said may. “THANK YOU”!!!! He said. “Your well-”said may but Nate was already running down the hill and next thing he knew he saw three little peacock and peahen eggs.

The end






No comments:

Post a Comment